Moderate | Time: 7 to 10 hours | Servings: 2-4
What you'll need:
- 1 Cup Salt (not iodized)
- 2 ½ cups Light brown sugar
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 1 gallon Water
- Salmon filets, skin removed
- Cayenne pepper, optional
How to make it:
Make this Salmon jerky your own with a mixture of your favorite seasonings!
- 1. Place salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, and water into a pot. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 2. Slice salmon lengthwise (not across the width) into strips ¼- to ½-inch thick. Place the salmon strips in the cooled brine and refrigerate for 8 to 10 hours to marinate.
- 3. Drain the brine. Rinse the salmon with clean water and let drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 4. Spray dehydrator racks with vegetable oil. Place salmon strips on racks, not touching so air can circulate. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper to taste. Dry to desired doneness according to dehydrator manufacturer's recommendations.
- 5. The drying time could take 8 hours or more, depending on the method and how dry you like the jerky.
- 6. Store salmon jerky in an airtight container or ziptop bag.