Jerky, Cheese and Tomato Biscuits
Easy | Time: less than 1 hour | Servings: 8 biscuits
What you'll need:
- 1 oz. Beef or other meat jerky, very small pieces
- 2 tbsp. Finely chopped dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Crumbled dried parsley
- 2 tsp. Crumbled dried basil or oregano
- 1 ½ cup Whole wheat flour
- 4 tbsp. Powdered dried cottage cheese
- 4 tsp. Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Water
- Vegetable oil or butter
How to make it:
These savory biscuits will give your camping trip a kick start!
- 1. Combine jerky, tomatoes, parsley and basil. In a separate bag, combine flour, cottage cheese, sugar, baking powder and salt. Seal both bags and store at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- 2. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and add jerky mixture. Cover and let stand for about 30 minutes or until jerky is soft and water is cooled to room temperature.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium heat until warmed.
- 4. Shake flour mixture in bag to mix and pour into jerky mixture. Using a fork, stir until evenly moistened.
- 5. Add a thin layer of oil to skillet. Spoon dough into 8 mounds in skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook for about 1 minute or until bottoms are golden brown and edges are no longer shiny. Flip over and cook for about 2 minutes or until biscuits are puffed and firm. Serve hot.