Brown Rice and Veggie Pet Crisps
Easy | Time: 7 to 9 hours | Servings: 60 small, 20 large
What you'll need:
- 2 coarsely chopped carrots
- Cold water
- 2 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice, cooled
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup salt-free tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. Crumbled dried basil or oregano
How to make it:
These dog treats will have your four-legged buddies begging for more!
- 1. In a saucepan, cover carrots with cold water by about 1/4 inch; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for about 7 minutes or until carrots are soft. Drain, reserving cooking water. Let carrots cool.
- 2. In a food processor, puree carrots, rice, peas, tomato paste and basil, gradually adding 1 to 2 tbsp. of the reserved cooking water if necessary to make thick and smooth.
- 3. Scoop out 1 tsp. of carrot mixture for small crisps and 1 tbsp. for large. With moistened fingers, pat out to a rounded rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Place at least 1/2 inch apart on fine-mesh drying trays. Repeat with the remaining mixture, dipping your fingers in water often to prevent sticking.
- 4. Dry at 130°F for 5 to 6 hours for small or 6 to 8 hours for or until crisp and dry throughout. Let cool completely on trays or on wire racks. Store in a cookie tin at room temperature for up to 3 months.