Appleicious Oat Pet Crisps
Easy | Time: 2 to 4 hours | Servings: 50 crisps
What you'll need:
- 1 cup Steel-cut oats
- 3 cups Water
- 2 Apples, cored and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Ground cinnamon
How to make it:
Make apple crisps for your pet!
- 1. In a saucepan, combine water and oats; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, for about 30 minutes or until oats are tender and thick. Measure out 3 cups and transfer to a shallow dish; let cool completely. Reserve any extra for another use.
- 2. In a food processor, pulse apples and cinnamon until very finely chopped. Add oats and pulse until mixture is fairly smooth and has the consistency of paste.
- 3. Spread out to about 1/4-inch thickness, as evenly as possible, on leather sheets, leaving it slightly thicker around the edges. Dry at 130°F for 6 to 9 hours or until top is very firm and it is easy to lift from the sheet. Flip onto a cutting board and peel off sheet. Cut into 2 by 1 inch rectangles, or desired size.
- 4. Transfer pieces to mesh drying racks, moist side down, and dry for about 2 hours or until firm and crisp. Let cool completely on trays or on wire racks. Store in a cookie tin at room temperature for up to 3 months.